Tuesday, November 18, 2008

23rd Birthday and Heidelberg

As the days have added up to my 23rd birthday (can 23 be called mid-twenties?), I’ve noticed a distinct change in the way I approach problems and even positive experiences. As an example, the other day as I was searching for a new apartment I could feel all the negative tension from my current situation building up in the background. I currently live in a place where a 60-something year old woman tries in an angry, condescending way to be my mother. She’s the typical stepmother type – all shouts and no praise. Finding myself in this undesirable situation, I’ve been forced at the same time to carry out the daunting task once again of apartment hunting. After several unsuccessful weeks of making calls and going to offices, I landed an appointment to look at a place. On my way that Wednesday evening I discovered, as I was searching for the place, that I had no idea how to get there. I noticed myself panicking, but not as much as I may have a few years ago. I turned this into an opportunity to practice some German by asking several passers-by for help. A half hour later I arrived and needed still more help because the landlord wasn’t there. The neighbor helped by allowing me to use the computer to find his phone number and then calling him. In the end everything worked out and I signed the lease.

As for the positive experiences, I’ve learned that many outcomes are good because one sees them that way. In other words, how one perceives his surroundings has a profound impact on his mood thereafter. I know that not all of life is going to be bliss – not every cloud has a silver lining. But there are some moments I’m so happy I can’t contain myself, such as the thought of seeing my family, friends and Dawn after 7 months, or stepping off the train and into a new city for the first time. However, my point is that while it’s easy to look at a good situation as an opportunity, even some seemingly bad set of circumstances can turn into an opportunity. When you’re lost in a foreign town, use it as an excuse to practice the language. When it’s too cold outside to run, do some push-ups instead. And if all else fails take a nap.

What’s the implication? My capacity to manage tension, stress, and other negative situations in general has grown to where I have a pre-scripted response to many now-common problems. I’ve learned to look at a larger range of situations as opportunities to improve myself AND others around me, if possible. No place to live in a new town? Use your resources. Your ride to Berlin gets cancelled? Find another. You’re living with an overbearing hermit? Get out your iPod and headphones.

Now for the Heidelberg trip. My friend Greg is in town for the week and mentioned wanting to make the trip to see the castle. After a hike through town we made it to the Old Town, where many traditional German pubs are located near the river. On our way Greg commented on how clean everything looked – the ground, the people, and even the air – after being in Syria all summer. We encountered rows of shops with apartments on top which gave it the feel of a typical small-to-midsize German town. After stopping several times to taste Kürbissuppe (pumpkin soup) and other local cuisine and the local beers we saw the castle on the hill. My favorite parts were the views from the top, but Greg clearly enjoyed wandering through the ruins and the German pharmacy museum inside. The town sat in a valley through which a river runs, all of which made a striking scene. I’ve found that I really enjoy the small-town feel many old German cities provide. You feel as though you’re walking through history as you enjoy the classical buildings, the rivers, the museums, the churches, while munching on a bratwurst with mustard. This weekend we’re going to Berlin (!!!!!!), which is a far cry from small-town life.

King of the Castle

A discovery on the way up

View of castle from city center

Looking through the bars

Greg

Hauptstraße, Heidelberg

No comments: