Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reunion

Today I was reunited with something I used to treasure back in the States - a bike. Every nice day we had my senior year at WVU I'd ride to class, passing by the pedestrians and shopkeepers with a breeze. In Morgantown though, I had no company to speak of while on my bike. College students, at least the ones in WV, have long forgotten about their bikes by the time they come to college.

Berlin, on the other hand, is a city of bikes. Elaborately designed are the bike lanes, one on each side of every road here, so that bikers will know they're welcomed in the big city. There are many rules which I have yet to learn while on a bike, but the basics are pretty easy. Stop at red lights. Lock up your bike when you're not riding. Always ride on the right side. Use lights at night. Most importantly, I look to others if unsure of what to do.

As I was riding to the bank today, the feeling of being free came back to me right away. I used to get that same feeling when I'd ride - a feeling of invincibility, that nobody could stop me. The wind flowing through my hair and the open road ahead - these are the things I miss. Except now I have it all back - in a new city with new sights. As I pass multi-level apartment buildings with shops at the bottom, over bridges with water beneath, and by a palace that's hundreds of years old, I realize that I'm living my dream. These are the things you can't find back home.

On a side note, I've been cooking at least once every day here at the apartment. Every few days I trudge to the market for veggies and meat, and when combined with pasta and cheese it makes a complete meal. For breakfast Anna (my host mother) makes toast and eggs and gives me plenty of fruit and cheeses. She even wakes me up at 7:30 - good thing since I don't have an alarm clock!! I really could not imagine eating healthier than this, not even in the states.

No comments: