Friday, June 27, 2008

The Upside of Getting Lost

Before I explain the title, I just want to say how great it's been being here in Europe for the UEFA football tournament. For some time there were two games every night, and now that it's down to the final on Sunday (Germany vs Spain) it's gotten a bit insane. For Germany's last game, there was a huge display of the game in the middle of the city. People came from all over to fill the streets and share their passion for Germany's most popular sport. These people are very proud of their country - they had flags and jerseys and sang songs the entire game. There was also a good representation of the Turkish population here - I spotted several Turkish flags throughout the night. As we were waiting for the game to start we met these German teenagers. It was the first time I've just met someone on the street and started speaking German - I felt like I was at home. And as for the game - I knew that no matter who won I'd be happy because I've spent time in both countries and have loved each.

After the game I wanted to meet up with Teresa, a girl friend of mine. We finally found each other through all the crazy celebratory fans. Since she's studying sociology she's interested in the roles of men and women, and wanted to know about the differences between men and women in our countries. I explained to her that in the States, men are terrified of independent women like her, because we can't stand the thought that women don't depend on us and won't be there to wait on us all the time. She seemed to appreciate my honesty, because she said that most men would not admit a thing like this. She also held the stereotype that Americans need to get drunk to have fun, which I quickly dispelled. I explained that yes, getting drunk is sometimes fun, but I can have fun without drinking! So here I am, tearing down these steretypes one at a time...

We also made this bet that if Turkey won she'd cook me dinner and if Germany won I had to cook, so looks like I'm making a trip to the spice store to get stuff for Indian food next week! Not sure how it will turn out, but I'm always up for going out on a limb and making new dishes.

When we were done talking it had reached 2am and I was tired. I rode my bike to the road I normally take home, and it was blocked because of the game!! I started to panic - would I be able to get home tonight? I decided to take a road parallel to that one and started through a forest. After twenty minutes of riding I started seeing buildings again and, realizing I was lost, decided to muster up the courage to ask for directions home. I asked the guy at the hotel counter how best to go home (in German), and twenty minutes later I found myself at my front door.

I've found that in the situations where dramatic measures are needed we tend to grow a little in both our confidence and in our courage to try new things. When we are not challenged, we cannot grow. When life gives us a situation we've never experienced, we're in a position to use what we've learned and apply it to new situations. I can think of another example where this has helped me: learning German. Since I'm an American, I only know one language (until now!!!!!!) As I sit through class every day, I recall what I've learned in 7th grade English class - the different cases, parts of sentences, and parts of speech. Applied to the German language, I can visualize how sentences need to be structured. I have a tendency to construct my sentences just as I would in English - subject, verb, indirect object, direct object. However, in German it's a bit different depending on what you're trying to say. Learning this language has challenged me more than any class ever has at WVU or anywhere else (except maybe AP Calc in high school.) Take that, retarted American school system!!!!!!

No comments: